samba changes?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Nov 17 03:11:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 08:17 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 05:49:45 -0700
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > No reason to waste your time doing google searches for out of date
> > configuration notions when the official samba documentation is thorough.
>
> Yea, that's what will take the 6 weeks to go through :-).
>
> Everything in all the documents I've seen is about how to
> make it more secure. I want it to be less secure. I'm
> behind a firewall, I'm the only user, I don't want to
> have to give passwords to connect to my samba shares.
> Somewhere in the 10 million lines of samba docs it
> probably says how to do that, but my config worked for years
> till they improved it in the latest release.
----
probably in the 'by example' documentation there's a scenario that would
approach your needs but I suspect you enjoy the opportunity to moan
rather than sort through documentation. In my opinion, you should be
thankful that there is such exhaustive documentation.

As for 'improvements' - I think I have been saying on this list for a
few years now that 'security = share' is deprecated and if indeed it has
been finally put to death, so be it -after all it simulated Windows
95/98 file sharing mode and even Windows ceased to support it in every
release since 2003.

Samba being open source, you could compile an older version
in /usr/local yourself or even use CentOS 5.x for many years and keep
antiquity alive should you choose.

Craig

believed to be clean.