iptables systemd services fail

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 17:24:46 UTC 2011

Fedora 16 x86_64 plus updates-testing

Some time ago systemd has started with reporting that both the iptables4
and iptables6 services fail at boot time. For example:

| Starting IPv4 firewall with iptables...
| Starting IPv4 firewall with iptables failed, see 'systemctl status iptables.service' for details.

# systemctl status iptables.service
#iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; enabled)
	  Active: failed since Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:19:23 +0100; 2min 31s ago
	 Process: 1003 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/iptables.init start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/iptables.service

Once logged in, I can start it manually without problems. SELinux is not
the culprit. The services fail also when running permissive mode. It seems
as if it's another race between systemd services.

Anyone has seen this, too?

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 1.36 0.44 0.15