iptables systemd services fail

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:27:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:13:01 -0500, DM (Deron) wrote:

> > Fedora 16 x86_64 plus updates-testing
> > Once logged in, I can start it manually without problems. SELinux is not
> > the culprit. The services fail also when running permissive mode. It seems
> > as if it's another race between systemd services.
> >
> > Anyone has seen this, too?
>

> I have a lot of customized iptables rules and everything is working fine for me.
>
> I am not running with the updates-testing repo though.
>
> How exactly are you starting it manually?

Once the system has booted, either on a virtual console or in a terminal
in GNOME Shell:

  # systemctl start iptables.service

Afterwards, a "status" query says it is active and exited without error.
Stuff in /var/log/boot.log after the failure is:

[...]
Starting IPv4 firewall with iptables ESC[1;31mfailedESC[0m, see 'systemctl status iptables.service' for details.
Starting IPv6 firewall with ip6tables ESC[1;31mfailedESC[0m, see 'systemctl status ip6tables.service' for details.
Started Security Auditing Service.
Started ACPI Event Daemon.
Started irqbalance daemon.
Started Machine Check Exception Logging Daemon.
Started SSH server keys generation..
Started Install ABRT coredump hook.
Starting Command Scheduler...
Started Command Scheduler.
Starting LSB: Mount and unmount network filesystems....
Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit...
Started D-Bus System Message Bus.
Started Login Service.
Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
Started ABRT Automated Bug Reporting Tool.
Starting Harvest vmcores for ABRT...
Stopping Syslog Kernel Log Buffer Bridge...
Stopped Syslog Kernel Log Buffer Bridge.
Started Harvest vmcores for ABRT.
Started System Logging Service.
Started Network Manager.
Starting RPC bind service...
Starting Samba NMB Daemon...
Starting OpenSSH server daemon....
Started OpenSSH server daemon..
Starting NFSv4 ID-name mapping daemon...
Starting Sendmail Mail Transport Agent...
Started LSB: Mount and unmount network filesystems..
Started RPC bind service.
Started Samba NMB Daemon.
Started NFSv4 ID-name mapping daemon.
Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Starting Plague server daemon for build-system master machines...
Starting NFS file locking service....
Starting Plague builder daemon for build-system slave machines...

I haven't started debugging it. Just want to raise awareness and find
out whether anyone else is affected, too.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.31 0.41 0.22