Fedora 16 and switchable graphics - ATI Radeon HD 6600M video(Sony VAIO SA25GB)

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:42:45 UTC 2011

On Thursday 17 November 2011 19:20:49 fernando at lozano.eti.br wrote:
> - The VAIO notebook doesn't have a BIOS option to turn off the ATI video.
> But it has a "stamina/speed" tootle on the keyboard. Under Windows,
> changing the toogle makes the screen go blank for a few seconds and back,
> supposedly to change the video driver. I tried to keep the tootle on
> "stamina" and reboot, then I created a xorg.conf for the intel video
> driver. Didn't worked.

Exactly *how* it didn't work? Any error messages? What do you see on the
screen?

> (But is "intel" the correct Xorg driver for the
> Intel HD graphics from the sandy bridge chipset?)

I take it you have modified your xorg.conf to to use "intel" as the driver?

As an alternative, why don't you delete/rename the xorg.conf, reboot without
it, and let X configure itself automatically? Then look inside
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what driver is in use.

After that you can generate an xorg.conf file (if you have a need for it) using
the "Xorg -configure". You need to do it as root, it will create the file in
your current directory, and then you can tweak it to taste and move it to
/etc/X11/ where it belongs.

> - I tried keeping the tootle on "speed" and created a xorg.conf using the
> driver "radeon". (This is the open source driver, right?) But it didn't
> worked.

Ditto as for the intel above.

As a general note, /var/log/Xorg.0.log is a very good source of information
about what is actually going on with X and you can look inside for any errors,
warnings, and other reports which might give you a clue about the problem.

Try to describe what doesn't work for you in more detail, and maybe even post
your X log file on pastebin or whereever, and give us a link to look at it.

HTH, :-)
Marko