NIC interface names

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Nov 18 21:42:46 UTC 2011

Boris Epstein wrote:
> However, the question is: I've got another Fedora 16 / 32 bit machine
> installed under VirtualBox, and it has your regular eth0. How could that be?

Is your VM originally F16 or was it upgraded from a previous Fedora?
Fedora saves the device name once you install Fedora so it will remain
the same name even with this new feature.

Look to see if you have this file:
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Fedora saves your network card name in there. You can either remove it
to have it generate a new name or edit it to what you want.