RAID0 and Fedora 16 / f16

Mark W. Jeanmougin markjx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:47:46 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 15:36, Roberto Ragusa <mail at robertoragusa.it> wrote:
> On 11/18/2011 07:39 PM, Mark W. Jeanmougin wrote:
>> sda1 is a 1049kB partition for "bios_grub". md0 is a raid1 of sda3
>> sdb2. md1 is sdb1 & sda2. Then, md1 holds the vg00. This is about as
>> simple as I can make it.
>
> Just my two cents.
> Wouldn't have been wiser to partition the two disks with the same layout?
> That is, create a 1049kB sdb1 (even if unused) and keep sda2+sdb2 and sda3+sdb3.
> It would be more confusing for the administrator, and it would make easier
> to exchange the roles of the disks in the future.
> I would also suggestion to call sda+sdb3 as md3 as so on. There is no rule
> that you must have md0, then md1, then md2; having just md2 and md3 would be
> simpler.

That's my preference as well. I "kept it simple" for the purposes of
filing this bug report list posting.

>> During the install, I select: Install boot loader on /dev/sda. Minimal
>> Install. Then I get a Warning "There was an error installing the
>> bootloader. The system may not be bootable". Looking at the other
>> virtual consoles shows me:
>>
>> Alt-F3:
>> INFO storage: bootloader stage1 target device is sda
>> INFO storage: bootloader stage2 target device is md0
>> [Ed: Which is odd since I chose sda for the installation target in the
>> earlier step]
>>
>> Alt-F5:
>> /sbin/grub2-setup: warn: This GPT partition label has no BIOS Boot
>> Partition; embedding won't be possible!.
>
> Is the GPT sda1 correctly marked for boot?

Here's what "parted /dev/sda print" has to say:
Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 2097kB 1049kB [NULL] [NULL] bios_grub
2 2097kB 5245MB 5243MB [NULL] [NULL] raid
3 10.5GB 11.0GB 524MB ext4 "software RAID" boot

So, it looks like sda3 is set to boot. So, I changed it so that sda1
has the boot flag. That also cleared the "bios_grub" flag on sda1.
Then, I removed the boot flag from sda3. It's still doing the same
thing:
error: no such device: 71ec265a-f934-40a6-b02d-3ff3a274d229

Ideas?

MJ