Is android linux done right?

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Sat Nov 19 00:04:15 UTC 2011

On Nov 17, 2011 11:44 PM, "Skunk Worx" <skunkworx at verizon.net> wrote:

> Android may be the fastest growing linux distribution in history.
>
> Now that Google has open sourced Ice Cream Sandwich, will some linux
> distribution leverage the Android "Java Desktop" just as Android
> leveraged the linux kernel?
>
> Is the Android WM / Compositor so different from X11 that it is simply
> unpossible?
>
> Could an ICS port to X86 use bits of the open source nouveau or radeon
> drivers and thus become a fairly decent decent desktop or laptop OS,
> maybe even to the point of accessing the various app stores?
>
> Could this be a future version of Fedora?
> --
Android makes an excellent example of how the Linux kernel is versatile
enough to drive application specific solutions tailored to a specific use
case.  The platform's success on mobile hardware doesn't make it well
suited to the desktop.   Fedora makes an excellent admin or development
workstation, but that doesn't mean it is suited for use in point of sale
systems or embedded Linux toasters.  I think its great that products are
becoming more tailored for the way we use them, but I'm not about to jump
on this ridiculous "the desktop is dead" bandwagon that's become popular
linkbait lately.