Swap space not enabled at boot in F16

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 08:43:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason my swap device is not being enabled (swapon) at boot.
> It seems that the new systemd swap.target is not doing its thing as I
> would expect.   ...

I've now confirmed this only happens with LUKS-encrypted swap devices.

I created a second logical volume that was formatted for swap, and
immediately after boot that device was in /proc/swaps, but the LUKS
one was not.

Doing a "systemctl start swap.target" after the boot completed did add
the other one.

I am beginning to believe this may be a systemd bug. Perhaps the
ordering of the systemd units is somehow wrong, in that the
swap.target unit is invoked before all the LUKS-encrypted volumes are
opened (unencrypted)?

Can anybody else confirm this behavior?  Note that I have individual
LVM logical volumes encrypted with LUKS, not the entire disk or entire
volume group. Also my root (/) filesystem is not encrypted, if that
matters.
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/