iptables systemd services fail

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sat Nov 19 14:25:54 UTC 2011

> Fedora 16 x86_64 plus updates-testing
>
> Some time ago systemd has started with reporting that both the iptables4
> and iptables6 services fail at boot time. For example:
>
> | Starting IPv4 firewall with iptables...
> | Starting IPv4 firewall with iptables failed, see 'systemctl status iptables.service' for details.
> |

> # systemctl status iptables.service
> #iptables.service - IPv4 firewall with iptables
> 	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/iptables.service; enabled)
> 	  Active: failed since Thu, 17 Nov 2011 18:19:23 +0100; 2min 31s ago
> 	 Process: 1003 ExecStart=/usr/libexec/iptables.init start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> 	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/iptables.service
>
> Once logged in, I can start it manually without problems. SELinux is not
> the culprit. The services fail also when running permissive mode. It seems
> as if it's another race between systemd services.
>
> Anyone has seen this, too?

Yes, I'm getting something similar, but it gets crazier! Running this
produces the following:
status iptables.service
status: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket
/com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused
What is that reference to an Ubuntu folder about??? It doesn't exist on
my system.

If I run systemctl start iptables.service the service starts up normally...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA