Gnome Shell periodically locks up hard in F16

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 17:00:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
>  I wonder if its possible to ssh in to your semi-frozen computer and
> point gdb at the appropriate process?

Yes, that's very possible. If I know what process to attach to.
gnome-shell? or Xorg?

>  If you can indeed ssh in then it would be interesting to run top and
> see if there is a process stuck in a loop or if (as seems most likely)
> the window manager itself has crashed and died - in which case
> restarting it may well revive the desktop.

I did run top once, and everything was idle, no run-away process.

>  In the latter case - please attach gdb to the process (from your
> remote ssh login) and leave it running until the next crash - then get a
> backtrace - that should be helpful to the gnome-shell devs.

I can try that. But do I need to install any other packages to get ELF
symbols? When I attach to gnome-shell for example I get lots of "no
debugging symbols found" and this...

   Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install
gnome-shell-3.2.1-2.fc16.x86_64

But debuginfo-install is not a recognized yum command. So what's needed?

Thanks
--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/