System locked up during update of kernel, yum in unclean state and kernel half-installed

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:39:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Deron Meranda <deron.meranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are my next steps?  If it was just a normal application package,
> I'd force a yum re-install. But since this happened during a kernel
> update, I don't want to risk messing my system up further.

I'm surprised YUM didn't tell you to run "yum-complete-transaction".
I'd try running that first to see if that can clear up your errors.

If not, "package-cleanup --dupes" [again :-( ] and then you can
reinstall the kernel.  Luckily, Fedora keeps several kernels around
just in case, and you happen to know at least one is working order.
;-)  If something goes awry with the newer kernel, just pick the
working one from the GRUB menu.

-T.C.