System locked up during update of kernel, yum in unclean state and kernel half-installed

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 23:24:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 16:03 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > As near as I can tell, yum only prints the message about running
>> > "yu-complete-transaction" when you've actually tried to update new things,
>> > screwed up the current transaction, and made it impossible for
>> > yum-complete-transaction to work anymore :-(.
>>
>> At least it hasn't tried to completely uninstall every RPM on your
>> system, as it wants to do on one my machines!
>>
>> I quickly cancelled that and repaired the damage manually, but now YUM
>> annoys me about running "yum-complete-transaction" every time I use
>> it.  Google indicates that there used to be a "package-cleanup"
>> argument to shut it up, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore.  :-(
> ----
> perhaps not - here is F14
>
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/package-cleanup
> yum-utils-1.1.28-1.fc14.noarch

Of course package-cleanup still exists; I meant the argument I was
expecting was missing.

That being said, I'm an idiot and completely misread the forum thread,
now that I look at it again.  The command I was looking for is
"yum-complete-transaction --cleanup-only" and has nothing to do with
"package-cleanup".  :-s

-T.C.