System locked up during update of kernel, yum in unclean state and kernel half-installed

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 05:50:05 UTC 2011

>> Thanks again everybody.  Oh, any idea about the grubby error?
>
> Did you update from F15?
>
> You probably have /etc/grub.cfg and /boot/grub left lying around. That
> confuses grubby. You can remove /etc/grub.cfg to shut it up, then, in a few
> /boot/grub.

Yes, it was an upgrade from F15, which was an upgrade from F14,
....etc....  And yes, the old grub stuff is still lying around, I was
wondering about that a bit.

One more interesting thing... I just completed my reboot, and my
system now seems quite happy.
However when I selected the kernel to use in the grub menu, it quickly said

even though I had explicitly selected the -2 revision, not the -1.
However once the kernel
got control and output its own version it did say -2. And likewise
/proc/version confirms
as well that I'm running on the -2 revision.

So I poked around and found this in my /boot/grub2/grub.cfg file...

menuentry 'Fedora (3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64)' --class fedora --class
gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        load_video
        set gfxpayload=keep
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root
b9b2e74c-1e4f-49ef-a4b1-687f7a58fa14
        echo 'Loading Fedora (3.1.1-1.fc16.x86_64)'
        linux   /vmlinuz-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64
root=/dev/mapper/vg_beryl-lvroot ro rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
rd.lvm.lv=vg_beryl/lvroot  KEYT
ABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
        echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd /initramfs-3.1.1-2.fc16.x86_64.img
}

Notice how the "echo" line has the wrong version number, while
everything else is right!

Is anybody else seeing that?  I just want to know if it is somehow
still an artifact of the yum upgrade mess I had gotten into?

--
Deron Meranda
http://deron.meranda.us/