system console redirection - all but boot messages redirected ttyS0?

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 14:45:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Morgan Read <mstuff at read.org.nz> wrote:
> Hello Folks
>
> I'm running f14 (still)
>
> I've successfully configured my machine (hp ml150 g3) to redirect bios,
> grub menu and login prompt - but, between the grub menu and the login
> prompt I'm missing the boot messages.  If I remove "quiet" from
> grub.conf's kernel line I get kernel messages reported to ttyS0, but
> leaving "quiet" in boot messages are report to tty0 but not ttyS0.
>
> Any pointers any one has would be much appreciated?
>
> (The most up-to-date information I've found seems to be here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Dracut_problems#Configure_a_serial_console
> Anything else out there?)

The kernel generated messages will go to all consoles.

The messages from userspace (ie rc script) will only go to the last
console= listed, it has been that way pretty much forever I don't
believe anyone has looked into what changes would be needed in the rc
script to allow output to go to more than 1 console.

The only solution I have previously done is to adjust the rc scripts
to use tee and go to both console, but this is a major pain as you
have to redo it with each rc script upgrade, in that case we had our
own custom distribution for a 1000+ machines that was only being
updated every 9-12 months so it was possible to keep the required
changes with updates.