Switch 32 bit to 64 bit how to do

Maciek Borzecki maciek.borzecki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 08:50:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Reinhard Sy
<sterntaler.10 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to switch my server from 32bit to 64bit (8GB of RAM) . What
> is the best method to do that ?
> Can I upgrade my running FC14 from 32 to  64 and and then I will
> preupgrade to FC16.
>
> Or should I install a fresh FC16 64 bit.
>
> I have found and old document about crossupgrade:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2009-04/msg01601.html
>
> does this work ? Has anybody here on the list done this task in the near
> past ?

If you value your time and have a /home on a separate partition,
install F16 from scratch. Really, I've never managed to do a hassle
free upgrade, and it's not worth the time. Grab an iso, dd to usb
drive, boot, 15 minutes later, you're running a brand new system.
You may want to dump a list of installed packages before reinstalling,
rpm -qa | sort > packages.log, then do a diff with the new system and
install ones which are missing.

maciek