F15/Gnash: can watch YouTube, but not Dailymotion

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:42:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>     Hello,
>
>  I'm running F15 with Gnash as a flash plugin on Firefox. I can now
> watch videos on YouTube, but not on DailyMotion - the area where the
> video would appear first turns black and then white and nothing else
> happens. How can I fix this? Thanks!

Gnash most likely does not support some feature of Flash DailyMotion
uses.  You can report a bug to the Gnash team to see if they can fix
it:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/bugs.html

There is another free software alternative to Flash called LightSpark
that might work better.  Unfortunately, it relies on patent-encumbered
codecs, so it's only available from RPMFusion.  If you have the
rpmfusion-free repository enabled, you can just "yum install
lightspark", otherwise see http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration for
instructions.

-T.C.