mount command absurdly verbose?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Nov 22 19:50:31 UTC 2011

Am 22.11.2011 20:01, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> After some reading about this, it appears to me that the problem lies in the
> common misconception that bind mounts are somehow different from ordinary
> mounts. And they aren't --- the kernel does not make any difference between an
> ordinary mount and a bind mount. See for example

it did and it is somehow idiotic to see hundret times the
same physical mount with its full size in "df" as it is
idiotic that "updatedb" show you file multiple with
different paths because it can no longer make a difference

and that fedora-packages and the system itself is using
bind-mounts makes this all as much frustrating as it can
be

>   http://karelzak.blogspot.com/2011/04/bind-mounts-mtab-and-read-only.html
> for a nice explanation.

this makes nothing better

> Consequently, all userspace apps which relied on this "difference" were broken
> to begin with, and need to be fixed.

HOW SOULD THIS BE DONE IF THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE SOMEWHERE

> The only issue is that before F15 this was not obvious. F15 featured a new
> version of gnulib which basically made /etc/mtab obsolete (as far as I
> understood). Since F15 /etc/mtab is just a symlink to /proc/self/mounts, and I
> guess it will probably be removed altogether in the future.

this does not interest me as long as i get "access diend" errors
calling "df" as user because named is running and as long i see
the rootfs twice

DF = DISK FREE

is a bind_mount a disk?

> Also, this is not just for Fedora, but rather *all* Linux distributions which
> feature the recent gnulib. And it seems that everybody decided to go for the
> "mtab is a symlink" behavior for the time being.

if all does something wrong makes it not right

> So if your favorite userspace app misbehaves because of this, file a bug
> against it and persuade the relevant devs to fix it.

well, i did and it does not interest someone

the new paradigm seems to be make changes without thinking what
they finally introduce and nobody is fixing the bad smelling
around them over months and years

WTF?
/bin/df: „/var/named/chroot/etc/named“: Keine Berechtigung
/bin/df: „/var/named/chroot/usr/lib64/bind“: Keine Berechtigung
/bin/df: „/var/named/chroot/etc/named.iscdlv.key“: Keine Berechtigung
/bin/df: „/var/named/chroot/etc/named.root.key“: Keine Berechtigung