iptables in linux

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 23 04:52:23 UTC 2011

You might look at this functionality. Check out your man pages for any
interpretation you need.

===8<---
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --dport 22 -m recent --name sshattack --set
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 --syn -m recent --name sshattack \
   --rcheck --seconds 180 --hitcount 2 -j LOG --log-prefix 'SSH REJECT: ' \
   --log-level info
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 --syn -m recent --name sshattack \
   --rcheck --seconds 180 --hitcount 2 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
===8<---

This means a given address gets one chance every 3 minutes to login.
Even "fubar" is a (relatively) secure password when there is riper
fruit for picking when the creep has to wait 3 minutes between trials.
It can be a pain if I mistype my password. It's a tradeoff in that
regard.

{^_^}