Printer problem Samsung CLX-3170

Jim binarynut at comcast.net
Wed Nov 23 17:23:39 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 09:34 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Jim<binarynut at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>>> I can't tell from the messages output you posted if your machine is
>>> x86_64 or not but I had a very very similar issue with a Samsung
>>> scx4500w when I installed f16.
>>>
>>> It turned out that the copy of the file "rastertosamsungspl" was a 32
>>> bit version and I had installed a 64 bit system - worth checking ?
>>>
>>> Also I notice that the name of your file is "rastertosamsungsplc"
>>> whereas it should be "rastertosamsungspl" i.e. you have an additional
>>> letter "c" at the end of the filename - if your file is really ending
>>> in a "c" then check whether you have the correct 32 or 64 bit file -
>>> if not then make sure that where you defined the file in the printer
>>> setup is correct - if not then redefine it with the correct filename.
>> I have a 32 bit box,
>> How do I determine wether the rastertosamungsplc is 32 or  64 bit?
>> In usr/lib/cups/filter/ there is a rastertosamsungsplc and a
>> rastertosamsungspl .
>> This is the same driver that I used Fedora 14 and 15 .
> OK - the answer as to which of 32 or 64 bit is where you got the file
> from?  Presumably it is from the unified driver set from Samsung - in
> which case that will have difference directories for the 32bit and 64
> bit file sets - one thing you can do is go back there and check the
> total file size - the 32 and 64 bit raster files are different sizes -
> which does yours match?
>
> Secondly you did not answer the question about using the correct name
> for the file when you defined the printer in Fedora - unless you
> changed the name of the actual file then the fail message indicated
> that you had the wrong filename - if course if you define it and point
> to a non-existent file then it is bound to fail!  Check that again and
> see if that is the source of the problem.

THe unifiedLinuxDriver is the one I,m using ,it is the SAME driver that
I have installed on  32 bit boxes in Fedora 14 an 15 for this CLX3175FN
printer and now a 32 bit box in Fedora 16.

The only thing I put into the setup was:

this printer, the same IP used on F14, F15)

The rest was done in the setup.

THanks Mike for your help on this problem.