Fedora - time to blink

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:44:01 UTC 2011

Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 23 November 2011 09:57:35 JB wrote:
> > After RH and Fedora statistics, some more results:
> >
> > http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-16.html
>
> Oh, come on JB, do you really think quoting that guy makes any sense?

That's not fair to him.
He has a pretty neat site, and a long history of Linux distros reviews, which
are very standard (from a user point of view), that is, the same tests are
uniformly applied to all of them. If any of those tests fail, it is
justifiable for him to say that a distro does not pass a smell test.

Yes, he has some preferences for how a desktop machine should look and work,
but that's his right. After all he can not be PC and judge a product.
His reviews are not "in the clouds", just about right, for an average user.

I actually like to take a look at his site from time to time.
By comparison to many other hacks and their empty reviews he stands pretty
tall.

And with regard to this particular review, I have to say I agree with what he
said about F16.
He understands what RH and Fedora products are (he made a very positive CentOS
6 review recently, so he is not biased), but he is disappointed by some of
the junk being served.
I am not surprised at all. He did not mention any kernel dump right off
the bat, but many users reported it, myself included. That was disappointing
for me in particular because I tested F16 RC2-6 on two machines and could
not understand how it got in there in the last minute ...

Take a look around and check his historical reviews - balanced and not bad :-)

JB