Fedora - time to blink

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Wed Nov 23 20:12:00 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 07:38 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> Try running "systemd-analyze blame".  It'll show you which services
> are taking the longest to start so you can figure out what fat you
> might be able to trim.

Thanks for pointing out the systemd-analyze command.

I ran systemd-analyze on three recent installs of F16.

Laptop:
Startup finished in 1028ms (kernel) + 2518ms (initramfs) + 29845ms
(userspace) = 33393ms
Worst offender: 2134ms ntpdate.service

Desktop:
Startup finished in 2016ms (kernel) + 3615ms (initramfs) + 31713ms
(userspace) = 37344ms
Worst offender: 9455ms NetworkManager.service

Server:
Startup finished in 2229ms (kernel) + 3941ms (initramfs) + 50937ms
(userspace) = 57108ms
Worst offender: 14371ms ntpdate.service

As I run NTP on all these, I have now disabled ntpdate on all.

My gut-feeling after these install has been no improvement of start-up
speed. I.e. I have not said to myself "wow, how fast it started". So the
next question will obviously be, how can I use the data gathered with
"systemd-analyze blame" to improve start-up speed? Besides finding
started daemons that I have no need for, like removing ntpdate, that I
just realized was enabled on my systems, even when using NTP?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/