Bad memory module?

Soham Chakraborty sohamwonderpiku4u at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:11:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Dean S. Messing <deanm at sharplabs.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > > Does this mean I have a memory module about to go out?
> >
> > When in doubt add a memtest boot menu entry and let it
> > check out your memory for a few hours:
> >
> > http://www.memtest.org/
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I'll run it all night tonight.
> (This is my work machine and I'm on it now.)
>
> Do you know what this message actually means?

It basically means memory error checking on a memory module along with a
parity checking bit. It is calculated when one byte of memory is written
and then again when it is read. If the parity has changed, then the memory
has been changed.

Since you have a correctable error, it shouldn't be any problem with the
memory module. Also, you can blacklist the edac module, afaik and let the
BIOS do the error detection and correction.

Nov 23 11:39:50 <machine name> kernel: [54140.456113] EDAC MC0: CE row 1,