OT: gather hardware information over network

Frank Pikelner frank.pikelner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:15:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi list!
> This maybe is a little off-topic on this list hence the 'OT' in the
> subject line. Sorry for that.
> I need to gather hardware information from computers on a local
> network and store it on a server. The server runs F16, clients run
> different ubuntu versions (11.04 mostly). The information should
> include such things as monitor serial numbers and other details for
> definite identification. The main purpose is inventarisation of all
> the hardware we have in the office. There's about 40 workstations.
> Google suggests use combination of OCS Inventory NG with GLPI [1]. The
> other idea is to write a set of bash scripts and put them on cron on
> workstations (the information should be updated weekly) and main
> script on the server would store information in the database. However
> if there's ready solution I would be happy to use it.
> Any tips?
> REFERENCES
> 1. http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/en/about/features/ocsng-glpi.html
> --
> Hiisi.

You may want to try Versiera as setup would only be a few minutes.
Create an account, download and install the agents. It is simple and
would collect all the info you require, though may be overkill as a
lot of info is collected. If you're concerned about security, remove
the agents after you gather all the info you need. You can then export
the data to a spreadsheet. I should also disclose that we develop
Versiera and it is not open source, though free to use.

Best,

Frank