Adventures with Gnome 3.2 fallback

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 23 22:07:29 UTC 2011

My luck was that Gnome3.2 could not fully work on my system so I was
going to be put in fallback mode (I think that is what it is called) By
the way can anyone point me to what lack of resources causes that to
happen?

At first I was discouraged until I realized what I had was what many
people asked for, a Gnome3 with the familiar features of Gnome2. I have
only an Applications menu and a Places menu at the top. Clicking on
Applications gives you the familiar hierarchical list of applications.

"Magic Workspaces" are not present. The Workspaces sit where they used
to be in right corner of the bottom  panel.  I can fill the upper panel
with my favorite application icons that will cause them to run (like
Firefox, evolution, etc).

gnome-tweak and fedorautils can allow me to configure the Gnome destom
in various ways. fedorautils has an option to speed up boot but you are
warned services you want may disappear.

I find the whole thing familiar and friendly and it answers the wishes
of those who miss the Gnome2 feel.
brokee, n: Someone who buys stocks on the advice of a broker.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net