Speeding up boot (was: Fedora - time to blink)

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:18:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 01:13 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>> The author of systemd explained a lot of this in detail here:
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html
>
> Yes, but he still assumes a fair amount of knowledge from the reader.
> As an example, he shows how to mask a service in /etc/systemd/system,
> but leaves out an explanation of how this works.  As an example, on my
> laptop I found that nfs-secure.service took between five and six seconds
> to load, although I never use it.  Checking, there's no reference to
> that file in /etc/systemd/system, leaving me to wonder just how this
> masking works.  Does anybody here know?

He probably didn't delve into detail about masking because he already
talked about it in an earlier blog post in the "systemd for
Administrators" series, which that post was a part of:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three-levels-of-off.html

The entire "systemd for Administrators" series is linked along with
the rest of systemd's documentation on its home page:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd

-T.C.