Speeding up boot (was: Fedora - time to blink)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 22:20:48 UTC 2011

On 23 November 2011 21:13, T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>> My gut-feeling after these install has been no improvement of start-up
>> speed. I.e. I have not said to myself "wow, how fast it started". So the
>> next question will obviously be, how can I use the data gathered with
>> "systemd-analyze blame" to improve start-up speed? Besides finding
>> started daemons that I have no need for, like removing ntpdate, that I
>> just realized was enabled on my systems, even when using NTP?
>
> There's probably more that can be removed.  Many of the
> fedora-*.services can be removed depending on your system
> configuration.  For instance, I removed the fedora-readonly.service
> since I don't use read-only /.  If you don't use LVM, RAID, or
> Multipath, you can speed up your boot significantly.
>
> The author of systemd explained a lot of this in detail here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html

I did notice this in Lars post:
Desktop:
Startup finished in 2016ms (kernel) + 3615ms (initramfs) + 31713ms
(userspace) = 37344ms
Worst offender: 9455ms NetworkManager.service

I had issues with NM when I first installed F15, it was trying every
automatically created wireless connection (i.e. all those
auto-ifcfg_APNAME entries) on startup and boot progressed when systemd
eventually gave up waiting on NM to finish. Might be worth Lars
checking what connections he has configured.

This trick from Lennart's article might be useful:
$ systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg
$ eog plot.svg

(For instance I have to figure out why netfs and iscsi are being
started on my machine.)

Overall speed, I did a RAM upgrade to my machine yesterday and noticed
I didn't have RAM running dual channel, turning that on seemed to make
a big improvement to startup speed, will have to time it when I get a
chance and see if it's real.

--
imalone