Bad memory module?

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Nov 24 02:35:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 06:13:31, Soham Chakraborty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Dean S. Messing <deanm at sharplabs.com>wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Nov 2011, Soham Chakraborty wrote.
<snip>
> > > Since you have a correctable error, it shouldn't be any problem with the
> > > memory module.
> >
> > Thanks!  But now I'm curious: Is the edac module running an entire
> > memory check each time it writes this error out?  If not, how is it
> > detecting this?  Is the kernel simply doing this parity check on each
> > r/w?
> >
> > Also, if it's not a problem with the memory module, what might it be a
> > problem with?  This just started happening night before last.  The error
> > messages don't appear in any previous "messages" files.
> >
> I am really not sure about how internally it works. If no one answers, I
> will try to gather some information. Also, can you do a lsmod and grep with
> edac.
<snip>

That a very kind offer, but please don't spend your time (unless you
really want to :-)  I was just curious.

I'm much more interested to understand what is the root cause of
the error messags since you said that it's not a problem with
the memory module.

Here's the `lsmod' you requested:

  ==>lsmod | grep edac
  i5000_edac              8164  0
  edac_core              40186  3 i5000_edac

Dean