Can't increase screen resolution (F16, KDE)

John Aldrich jmaldrich at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 15:10:43 UTC 2011

I have Fedora 16 with a 19" flat-panel screen capable of 1280x1024,
however, Fedora / KDE seems to not realize my monitor is capable of this
resolution, and only offers a max resolution of 1024x768, which is
freaking HUGE on my monitor! How do I fix this??? I *know* my monitor is
capable of 1280x1024 because that's the resolution I had when I was
running Fedora 15.
I have an on-board Geforce video card and have already upgraded to the
nVidia drivers and disabled Noveau, hoping that would fix it, but it has
not.
I'm becoming more and more disenchanted with Fedora/KDE and am seriously
thinking of wiping the whole freakin' thing and going to XUbuntu or
something a bit more user-friendly! Sheesh! I've been using Fedora since
before there WAS a Fedora and maybe it's just KDE, but this has to be
the toughest upgrade I've done in a LOOOONG time!
C'mon, folks... help a guy out here, please!