OT: gather hardware information over network

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 15:14:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 15:49, Hiisi <hiisi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 18:43, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Smolt is made for exactly this purpose. Maybe you can see if its
>> possible to have a smolt setup local to your LAN?
>>

> Thank you, Suvayu! That was my first thought. However I couldn't find
> any information on the net. Now I'm working on configuration of
> ocsinventory and I have to say that I like it and highly recommend it
> to everyone interested in the topic.

Although you have found a solution, for the sake of completeness I think
there isn't much of a configuration. Just installing the server and
configuring[1] should be enough. Then from the clients you can do
`smoltSendProfile -s <server_url>`.

Footnotes:

[1] I didn't look how difficult this is. Probably assigning some ports,
    adjusting the firewall and starting the server is sufficient.

--
Suvayu