Adventures with Gnome 3.2 fallback

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Thu Nov 24 15:25:33 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 09:59 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I assume you mean changing the line:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0  KEYTABLE=us
> quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
>
> to:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0  KEYTABLE=us quiet
> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8"
>
> When I do that the system will not boot. If I am wrong about the change
> let me know.

Yes, that's what I meant. Unfortunately, it seems your system needs
"nomodeset" to boot - I guess the installer detected that and put it
there on purpose. (On my systems, it was put there, but it wasn't
actually needed.)

If you want the main gnome-shell mode, you need:

1) A better video driver.
or
2) A different video card.
or
3) Wait for F17, which is supposed to run gnome-shell on a wider range
of video cards - but the performance might be poor.

- Mike