penta-booting hard-disk: who would administer the hard-disk office?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 25 07:18:17 UTC 2011

Linux Tyro:
>> Sharing /home would, I guess not a problem, since I would be giving
>> different user names in each distributions.

Joe Zeff:
> You guess wrong, I think.  Linux doesn't keep track of users by their
> username, but by their userid.  That means that all of your users would
> have the same userid, even though they had different home directories,
> and I'm not sure how well that's going to work.

The username is usually used to set the filepath, so each home would be
a different directory.  So there shouldn't be a conflict of
configuration files, each OS would use its own homespace and own
configuration files.

If they get the same userid, he'll be able to easily read files he's
saved in the other directories.

To share a homespace between different releases can be a problem, and he
easiest solution can be to make sure that they each have different
homespaces, but have link to a (different) common space for the user to
store their own files in.  That keeps configuration files separate, and
simple access to your files.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686