Printer problem Samsung CLX-3170

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 16:12:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 04:23 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>
> /usr/lib/cups/filter/ a
>
>  usr/lib/cups/filter/ has the rastertosamsungsplc and rastertosamsungspl in
> it and permissions are the same as other execute files.
>

> /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Samsung/  I put the
> CLX3170splc.ppd.gz (driver for my printer CLX3175FN) in that directory.
>

> And I still get the same error message in cups setup when I try to Print a
> Test page.
>
> Idle - /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc failed

This may seem a silly question but after making changes to the files
did you amend the printer setup/definition to make sure that it
included the changes?

What I do is to open a browser and go to localhost:631 and then click
the "Printers" tab and select the printer you want to check or update
the definition of - then select the "Administration" tab and go to
"Modify Printer" and work through the screens.... ensure you really
are selecting the driver that you think you are.....

Of course you may already be doing that in which case something else
is the issue - also did you try to install the splix package from
updates-testing?
--
mike c