saslauthd, PAM & EXIM - F16

jeff at bubble.org jeff at bubble.org
Fri Nov 25 18:59:55 UTC 2011

> I just upgraded my system to F16 and SMTP authentication is no longer
> working.
>
> What I have been able to figure out so far is EXIM is passing the
> authentication request to saslauthd but saslauthd appears to simply sit on
> the request, running a strace -f -p xxxx on the saslauthd process I can
> see my username and password sitting there but that's it, its just sitting
> there.
>
> output from strace:
> fcntl(6, F_SETLKW, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0,
> len=1}{sa_family=AF_FILE, NULL}, [2]) = 7
> fcntl(6, F_SETLKW, {type=F_UNLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=1}) = 0
> ) = 0
> accept(5, read(7, "\0\4", 2)                      = 2
> read(7, "username", 4)                  = 4
> read(7, "\0\6", 2)                      = 2
> read(7, "passwd", 6)                    = 6
> read(7, "\0\4", 2)                      = 2
> read(7, "smtp", 4)                      = 4
> read(7, "\0\0", 2)                      = 2
> read(7,
>
> I think this means that exim is passing the query to saslauthd correctly
> but saslauthd for whatever reason isn't contacting PAM properly.
>
> sysconfig/saslauthd:
>
> SOCKETDIR=/var/run/saslauthd
> MECH=pam
> FLAGS=
>
> /etc/pam.d/exim:
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth		include		password-auth
> account		include		password-auth
>
> selinux is disabled
>
> I know I'm missing something pretty simple but not sure where to look,
> suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Jeff

Some more investigating and I'm positive the problem is between saslauthd
and PAM.

a simple test with "testsaslautd -u {username} -p {password} -s {any
service} will simply sit there, a ptrace will show the same pause in
output as if exim made the query.

What is causing saslauthd not to be able to authenticate against PAM?

Thanks, Jeff