Fedora - time to blink

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 16:04:49 UTC 2011

--- On Sat, 11/26/11, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> From: Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Fedora - time to blink
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Saturday, November 26, 2011, 3:06 AM
> On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 22:58 +0100,
> Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> > in each version of Fedora for several recent years I
> had to replace
> > cripled and unmaintained wodim with original cdrtools,
> because
> > otherwise I won't able burn CD/DVD media.
>
> I haven't had to do that.  I've burnt many CDs and
> DVDs with what Fedora
> already had.

cdrdao and growisofs can do the job most of the time without having to use wodim.

> Years and years ago, I can recall problems with the
> original burning
> tool, which may have been cdrtools, *STUPIDLY* requiring
> ordinary users
> to have root privileges to burn discs.  I seem to
> recall he still thinks
> that's necessary.

Program runs as suid-root as it is required for some system calls.

> My opinion of some software authors is not very high.

This is why Debian, Fedora and others apparently decided to go with the fork since they could not agree with Mr. Schilling.  It is sad but true :(
But then again, I don't think very much of the people who fork the code as well, since they went that route and not care about quality of code.

> --

Users that want to burn DVDs use growisofs and when burning cds, they may substitute cdrdao in place of wodim.  This works most of the time with Fedora tools.  But if you want the original, you get and build the source and it does both.

BTW,
Even if Fedora included the original cdrtools, it still would not be fully Free :(  like the FSF recommends.  They are very restrictive with many things and yet fail to be "Free Enough" :(

Like new coke vs original, which one is the one that you prefer?

Regards,

Antonio