Fedora 15 as WLAN-AP

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:44:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:25:16 +0100
Reindl Harald wrote:

> hi
>
> does anybody know what hardware and configuraion-steps are needed to get
> a fedora-pc working as WLAN access-point with WPA/WPA2

Good luck - you'll need it :-).

http://linuxwireless.org/ has some tables of devices that have
AP support, but they tend to list things like chipsets, which
are difficult if not impossible to correlate with products
you can buy.

I have a little wireless USB dongle I got to sort-of work, but
I have to try plugging it in and initializing the software
two or three times before it actually works. You can find
my saga here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/hardware/rtl8192cu/rtl8192cu.html

One thing I found with the USB dongle was that I had to
disable NetworkManager, or it would try and grab the wlan
interface and set it up as a client.