Fedora - time to blink

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 23:43:04 UTC 2011

On 11/26/2011 05:02 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Simple:  Packages don't rebuilt unless there is a necessity to do so
>
> and what about the mass-rebuilds usually happening in devel-cycle
> after upgrades of GCC, GLIBC etc.?
>
> 99% of all packages are rebuilt there
> what is with the one percent?
>
> do they not sucessfully compile?
> if yes - why does this nobody interest?
>
> for me this is a part of QA
> and if any package shipped with the distribution does not compile
> inside a mass-rebuild there must be something wrong!

Well, some packages do not need to be rebuilt. Things like the
noarch packages - shell scripts usually do not need to be changed.
Unless there is a major change in Pearl or Python that necessitates
changes in the program, packages written those languages are not
going to need to be rebuilt. I am sure you can find other examples
if you try...

Mikkel