Fedora - time to blink

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 26 23:58:11 UTC 2011

Am 27.11.2011 00:43, schrieb Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> On 11/26/2011 05:02 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>>> Simple:  Packages don't rebuilt unless there is a necessity to do so
>>
>> and what about the mass-rebuilds usually happening in devel-cycle
>> after upgrades of GCC, GLIBC etc.?
>>
>> 99% of all packages are rebuilt there
>> what is with the one percent?
>>
>> do they not sucessfully compile?
>> if yes - why does this nobody interest?
>>
>> for me this is a part of QA
>> and if any package shipped with the distribution does not compile
>> inside a mass-rebuild there must be something wrong!
>>
> Well, some packages do not need to be rebuilt. Things like the
> noarch packages - shell scripts usually do not need to be changed.
> Unless there is a major change in Pearl or Python that necessitates
> changes in the program, packages written those languages are not
> going to need to be rebuilt. I am sure you can find other examples
> if you try...

a mass-rebuild is a mass-rebuild and a part of QA

i saw locally no-arch packages building on F11,F12 and F13 without
any problem, on F14 no way to get it built and on F15 wrong
dependencies injected, but well the old package is running

finally it was one line in a perl-script what was wrong since years
and only catched because rpmbuild worked better than before

anyways - usually in the mass-rebuilds of fedora also noarch-packages are rebuilt
if they are not something is dirty, yes you can say "does not matter, works"
maybe, but something goes wrong, if it is the sourcecode, rpmbuild or any other
package involved in the build which has changed is not relevant because this is a
sign that something does not work as expected

yes, time is a factor, but maybe development should take a breath and  fix such issues
every second release to optimize quality, get features of the last release-cycles really
stable and clean instead introduce new ones

in my opinion this should never be irgnored because if you ignore small
problems in the IT because "it just works" sooner or later they are
growing until you can not ignore thmen and mostly you have really no
time and energy exactly at this point to figure out what is happening

let me say this after 10 years web-development where some guys think
they can lower error-reportings and all is fine but they all start
whining after a php-upgrade while my work is running all the time
because i never ignore any warning

quality and security should ALWAYS win against features and glitter
especially in free software where no marketing is announcing the next
big thing and calculate how much money in what time must be generated