.vcf files -

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 02:26:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>        I was able to display some of the data in a new Thunderbird
>        account's address book. There are about 2000 "cards," about 21
>        megs of data! The T-bird address book only displays some of the
>        data, I guess just in columns it recognizes, Name and E-Mail
>        addresses. At least it shows that the data is probably all there.
>
>        The above routine almost works but only begins to show some
>        gibberish from the beginning:

<output snipped>

The output may be something about the format of the vcf files.  The
one I tested came out like this (anonymized as it was a real person
who probably doesn't want their info all over the internet :-), free
of all that garbage:

 VCARD
    TEL: 520-555-1212
    TEL: 520-555-2345
    ADR: One Linux Way
Fedoratown, AZ 85701
United States
    TITLE: Delicious Meaty Treat
    N:  Beefy Miracle
    VERSION: 2.1
    ORG: ['', u'Red Hat, Inc.']
    EMAIL: ketchup at fedoraproject.org
    FN: Beefy Miracle

>        I expected to see it list all 2000 records? I don't know how to
>        deal with that but would be interested in seeing it.

I wrote up this little script that uses it to read a bunch at once
using the same method:
https://gist.github.com/1396819

Download it and make it executable:
curl https://raw.github.com/gist/1396819/7060cb6f054dbc65104ed2f96ec90fe4967d84ed/readvcf.py
> readvcf
chmod +x readvcf

Then point it any number of vcards:
./readvcf /path/to/cards/*.vcf

Or spit the output into a file:
./readvcf /path/to/cards/*.vcf > cards.txt

-T.C.