Problem booting under F16

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sun Nov 27 02:55:48 UTC 2011

Recently I upgraded my laptop to F16 using preupgrade.  This morning, at
a convention, I did a system update that included (I thought) a new
kernel.  The next time I booted, the system hung, with no output.  I had
to power-cycle to try again, this time getting error messages: it
couldn't find libcrypt.so.1 and there were a number of failures of
systemd-remount-api-vfs.  I power-cycled again, and hit the space bar to
enter the GRUB menu.  There was one F16 kernel, the upgrade, and the
latest F14 kernel, which worked.

After several experiments, I found that libcrypt.so.1 is provided by
glibc-devel, so I told yum to install it, which brought along some other
things I'd thought I'd had.  Alas, it didn't fix the boot failure.
Although this isn't my main box, I'd like to keep it working as well as
I can, and would prefer to be using an F16 kernel if I'm running F16, as
I appear to be.

Also, as a side note, I'd tried using the fedorautils and made the
mistake of adding the color terminal, finding that I don't like it.  How
do I reverse this?