Problem booting under F16

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 12:09:26 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff <joe <at> zeff.us> writes:

> On 11/26/2011 09:10 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Furthermore, if you have a corrupted libcrypt.so.1, it wouldn't matter
> > which kernel you're booting
>
> The specific message is that /sbin/sulogin failed because it coulden't
> find libcrypt.so.1.
>
> I touched /forcefsck and rebooted into the F16 kernel and it hung.
> Tried again with the F14 and it either ignored the /forcefsck or it'd
> been nuked by the failed boot.  Will try again.

At boot time stop F16 kernel and append this boot kernel command line param:
systemd.unit=rescue.target
which should set up the base system and a rescue shell (similar to run level 1),
but without sulogin executed.

>From there you can run all you can, e.g.
# fsck
# package-cleanup --dupes
# package-cleanup --problems
# rpm -V -a --quiet
and whatever else you wish.

When you finish you can leave by:
# shutdown -Fr now
or
# exit

On boot, this time stop as above once again and change that kernel boot option
to:
systemd.unit=multi-user.target
which should bring you to non-GUI login.

After that your system should be yours (debug/investigate it if needed).

JB