.vcf files -

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 14:04:22 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:45 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 26/11/11 19:27, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
> > Depends what you mean by "display". Most of the mail clients can import
> > VCF files as contact records.
> >
> > poc
> >

>         I'm not sure myself, a text editor or Libreoffice will display
>         the raw data but apparently there is some format the data goes into.
>
>         My daughter has nothing but Apple equipment and has been on the
>         phone with them for hours this weekend trying to sort out some
>         problem, came around with the phone in her ear still talking and
>         asked if I could display those files. I have never seen anything
>         that convinces me the Mac is easy to use! Always problems and my
>         daughter is computer literate.
>
>         Google describes them as some sort of record cards that can be
>         displayed in OSX and Windows. I didn't find anything like that
>         for Linux. I certainly don't want the stuff in my Thunderbird app.
>
>         Just though there might be something I haven't found.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Bob

Recently I had to create a e-mail list that corresponds to a contact
list from evolution. Evolution will load a .vcf file. Using cut one can
easily isolate the e-mail addresses in the file. You also have to remove
the ^M character at the end of each line in the file. vim can do that.
"You know, of course, that the Tasmanians, who never committed adultery,
are now extinct." - M. Somerset Maugham
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net