Suddenly cups does not run on boot

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 14:37:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:27:03 -0600
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> it is: systemctl restart cups .service that I have to run to get cups to
>> work.
>>
>> Where is the init file for cups.service?
>
> I haven't had problems with cups, but I've certainly had problems
> with other services that use the network not functioning
> at boot. I gave up trying to find the real problem and just
> created the executable script /etc/rc.d/rc.local and put
> stuff like this in it:
>
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 5 ; service stunnel restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
> /bin/bash -c 'sleep 7 ; service postfix restart' > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
>
> That way, the services that don't work at boot get restarted
> a little while after the system is booted, and by backgrounding
> the commands, the boot process doesn't hang running rc.local.

Although most services are properly handled by systemd in f16 now
there are a few services that did not have their systemd scripts ready
at the point on f16 release. To check which are still on the old
system you can do "chkconfig --list" as root and it will give a list
of those services which are still on the old system and which
runlevels they will start on.  For those services "chkconfig
servicename on" will get them to start at boot.  For service daemons
that are fully handled by systemd then "systemctl enable
servicename.service" will get them to start at boot.

I am running several f16 machines, both i686 and x86_64 and they all
have cups running after a boot -

--
mike c