Fedora - time to blink

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Nov 27 16:02:37 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 11:22 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

>> Or why I have to press Alt + RMB to pop up a menu on a panel in Gnome?
>> Seriously, WTF?
>
> RMB on the window's title bar produces the same pop-up menu. It's only
> when you want to do that from another location on the window that
> Alt-RMB is required.

It's also required for me to add an applet to the gnome panel which is
what I was referring to. I'm not understanding why I should have to.

> I just upgraded my mom's computer from F14 to F16 on Friday. It was a
> total mess. The Nouveau drivers were impressively unstable with her EVGA
> nVidia card. It only took several tries - with as many reboots - to get
> the nVidia drivers packaged from RPM Fusion to work.

Yeah I had to disable kernel mode setting and nouveau was messy for me
too but I always install the proprietary drivers anyway. Given the
circumstances of Nouveau (ie reverse engineering) it's an amazing effort
that it works as well as it does.

> Once the system video was reasonably stable, I spent about 30 minutes
> teaching my mother where everything had been moved to in going from
> Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. Had she been left to her own, she would have been
> ready to throw the entire thing out!!! On average, things that took her
> 2 mouse-clicks to do on Gnome 2 now take:

Yeah my wife now only boots up the netbook into Windows because she
doesn't like that new "window thing" because it does "weird stuff". She
couldn't care less before whether it was in Windows or Linux when she
used it. I'll probably get around to sticking XFCE on it for her or put
Gnome in fall back mode but these days I'm past evangelising too. :-)

--
Ian Chapman.