.vcf files -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Nov 27 16:26:14 UTC 2011

On 26/11/11 21:26, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-11-26 at 19:09 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Is there a Linux application that will display a .vcf file?
> You can use any text editor to look at the contents, it's just a list of
> fields and data, in a form style.  Not exactly like this, but it's the
> idea behind the technique:
>
>    name: Tim
>    email: ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
>
> They're an electronic business, or visiting, card.  And they contain as
> much information as the person put into it, or the recipient added to it
> when they saved it.  They can hold names, numbers, addresses, encoded
> pictures, etc.
>
> If you want to parse the data, that's another matter.  But you haven't
> said what your needs are.  Just to be able to see the content, or do
> something with it.
>
> There are a variety of formats, and some of the data may not be
> recognised for what it is by some readers (which may not show you that
> data, or just show the raw data for you to figure out what it is).

        Yes, I now understand what they are. I suspect that Apple has
        sold her on a software system that doesn't fit her needs. If I
        understand what she is telling me her data is stored in a
        "cloud" server somewhere while she wants local copies stored on
        several devices, desktop, portable, iPad, and what look like
        some iPods to me, maybe they are telephones, I'm not sure? But
        it seems that what she needs should be possible to do.

        They need to be able to access their account data without
        finding an internet connection. I was caught in the middle when
        the Apple person on the phone asked if the .vcf files could be
        displayed on another computer system and she brought it to me on
        a flash drive. I didn't know what to do with it other than to
        look at it as text. That was why I inquired of the list.

        I have since spent some time examining the files and they appear
        to be vcards interspersed among huge fields of meaningless data
        which at first looked like image files but I have since come to
        think it may be some sort of encryption? Whatever it's a
        collection of stuff I can't do anything with and I am not sure
        is even her data? I am losing interest in the project, my
        curiosity is waning.

        I appreciate all the help and if nothing else I know what a .vcf
        file is and know that I can display the data in address book
        format if nothing else.

        Thanks,

        Bob