Top posting in a meandeing thread was: Re: Fedora - time to blink

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sun Nov 27 19:14:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:00:20 -0600 Reindl Harald
<h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 27.11.2011 19:32, schrieb Maurizio Marini:
> > On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:13:53 +0000
> > Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That's what top-posting brings. (Not JZ)
> >> Let's see the rant's now.
> >
> > A. Because people read from top to bottom.
> > Q. Why should I not top post?
> > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> > A: Top-posting.
> > Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>
> but only in mailing-lists and there only because not all are doing this
>
> yes i and peopole are reading from top to bottom
> and if i follow a conversation i normally know the postings before
> so i need only to read the answers
>
> with top-posting i would not have to scroll or ONLY if i have
> not read the messages before and even if i do not know the whole
> thread i must only ONE TIME scroll down and read from bottom to
> top, but only once
>
> so the only real problem is that so many people do not top-posting
> and that they which do not realize if the thread was with answers
> below the question and suddenly start mixing what is really bad
> because you have a question and some answers below and some in top of
>
> in business-communication top posting and TOFU is normally
> because with TOFU you need only the last mail of a conversation
> and with the top-posting you need not to scroll and see the whole
> answer in the preview after select a message
>
> so this is all a point of view

Actually, this has always been a amusing but major source of friction
from supposed net guardian angels and those that (in their words) lack
netiquette. From the way I see it, the fundamental disagreement stems
from whether e-mail should be considered to be a form of letter-writing
(in which case top-posting makes a lot of sense) or a substitute for
conversation (in which case it is not). But, as you say, it is a point
of view.

In any case, one should always be careful against wrongful attribution.

Best wishes,
Ranjan