Fedora - time to blink

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Nov 28 02:41:44 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 07:09 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 00:57, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or the default DE
>> choice could "rotate" for each release --- XFCE for F17, LXDE for F18, KDE for
>> F19, Gnome3 for F20, and over again, in turns. That way each DE would have
>> equal amount of "visibility" among users, more bugs would get fixed, etc.
>
> This is actually a very nice idea. And I believe it fits in with the
> goals of Fedora, forwarding the progress of FOSS. After all Gnome is
> not the only FOSS desktop, by far. Maybe you can suggest this on the
> desktop list? (is that the appropriate list?)

   Be aware that a significant number of gnome devs are @ RH  ... not
sure what the politics is but the gap between upstream and fedora is not
as great as may appear sometimes - much like systemd  ... and previous
calls to re-consider the default DE have met with rather a lot of
silence so far ... or suggestions to file bugs, contribute patches or
perhaps even become a gnome dev. Not once that I recall has the response
been sure - lets make KDE the default DE ...

  That saod. I'd be delighted, albeit surprised,  if any progress was
made on this front.