speed of yum

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Nov 28 02:54:41 UTC 2011

  I happened upon pacman on Arch linux - and it appeared to be
substantially faster than yum. Now this was casual "visual impact only"
- no formal tests using similar packages and same computer etc - but it
was very much noticeably faster.

  Installs of even large packages seemed to fly compared to what I was
used to from yum.

Of course it could be difference in systems, or xz compression versus
presto or who knows what else ... but it leads me to ask ...

  Are there any good performance benchmarks comparing yum with pacman
and apt etc?

   gene/