Create an rsyncd.service fedora 16

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Nov 28 17:26:31 UTC 2011

"T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:"

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM, David Highley
> <dhighley at highley-recommended.com> wrote:
> >
> > It appears that this example maybe out of date. Looks like the argument
> > StandardInput is no longer valid, according to:
> > http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.service.html
>
> StandardInput is explained in "man systemd.exec":
> http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd.exec.html
>
> Unit file syntax may have fields added, but should never have fields
> removed except in rare circumstances, at which point they will be
> subject to a long deprecation process.
>
> > We also do not see where the "@" is being used in any of the scripts
> > for the names. The supplied sshd.service looks different and does not
> > have an accompanying sshd.socket file. So we really do not understand
> > how this works at this point.
>
> The "@" syntax is described in detail here:
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/instances.html
>
> Fedora's openvpn at .service and getty at .service use it, perhaps others too.
>
> sshd supports being used both as an inetd-style daemon and a regular
> daemon.  Fedora installs it as a regular daemon.

When the name is changed to add the "@" we get the following error:
systemctl start rsyncd at .service
Failed to issue method call: Unit name rsyncd at .service is not valid

Looked at the openvpn at .service script and see the type=forking
statement. We added this but with the above issue not able to tell if it
helped. The document on systemd.exec still leaves us wondering where and
which file to insert the StandardInput statement. Will look at more
scripts to see if we can determine the correct location.