Anyone got three monitors working?

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:29:10 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:

> Howdy All -
>
> I have Gigabyte EP43-UD3L motherboard with a single PCI Express 2.0 x16
> slot. It currently has a decent NVidia card - a GeForce 7300 GT. I've
> got two monitors attached, one via the VGA port and one via the digital
> video port. It works well, I get accelerated X and wobbly windows and
> all that silliness. Guilty pleasure: I like eye candy.
>
> I'd *really* love to do triple head - the monitor in front of me for my
> main work, and the two side screens for supporting stuff.
>
> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>
> Has anyone done this?

I've used a Matrox M9140 LP PCIe x16 card which provides four monitor
connections successfully under Fedora 12 and 14, but I had to use the
proprietary Matrox driver.

However, if you can find a PCIe x1 card that provides one monitor
connection, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless your power supply
isn't big enough to run it.

--
Dale Dellutri