Anyone got three monitors working?

Don Krause dkrause at optivus.com
Mon Nov 28 18:54:49 UTC 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 9:51 AM, suvayu ali wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 20:41, Thomas Cameron
> <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
>> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
>> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
>> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>>

> I am not sure there are any cards in the market with support for more
> than 2 monitors. If that is true SLI is your only option. And as far
> as I know SLI is only supported by the proprietary drivers. You might
> want to check up on that before you invest on another card.

Uhh, no, SLI has little to nothing to do with multiple monitor support..

We do 3 monitor systems, using 2 dual DVI Nvidia cards with the proprietary driver for a medical device, works fine.

The only "trick" is finding the proper BusID for your cards.

Here's a working xorg.conf for a 3 headed monitor setup, on CentOS 5, using Nvidia's proprietary drivers..

# Xorg configuration

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
        Screen      2  "Screen2" LeftOf "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        Option      "Clone" "off"
        Option      "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
#       Option      "DPMS"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DELL"
        ModelName    "P1130"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    28.0 - 133.0
        VertRefresh  43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
#       Option      "DPMS"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor1"
        VendorName   "DELL"
        ModelName    "P1130"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    28.0 - 133.0
        VertRefresh  43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
#       Option      "DPMS"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor2"
        VendorName   "DELL"
        ModelName    "P1130"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    28.0 - 133.0
        VertRefresh  43.0 - 172.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce 7600 GT"
        BusID       "1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce 7600 GT"
        BusID       "1:0:0"
        Screen      1
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard2"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce 7600 GT"
        BusID       "2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen1"
        Device     "Videocard1"
        Monitor    "Monitor1"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen2"
        Device     "Videocard2"
        Monitor    "Monitor2"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Don Krause
Head Systems Geek,
dkrause at optivus.com
www.optivus.com
"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."